My latest project was to design a product that was inspired by a playful moment. My partner and I chose hide-and-seek as our inspiration and decided to design a teapot-cup set. I started by sketching existing products.
Then, I started to brainstorm ideas for a tea set that could incorporate the concept of hide-and-seek. A great idea hit me on the head - a teapot that has a form with a hollowed out area in which one or more teacups could be stored. Hide the teacups under the teapot, and lift up the teapot to find them! Then I started sketching different possibilities for the form of the teapot to maximize the volume while allowing for a hole to hide the teacup(s).
We settled on this basic form of basically a semi-sphere whith a simple spout and a wire handle, partly inspired by the Japanese cast-iron teapot I sketched (see above).
Then it was time to make the prototype, which was in itself the biggest challenge of all! We used plaster as the material, although the real product would be made of ceramic. Due to the limited materials and machinery available to us, we used a different process to build the prototype out of plaster instead.
The teapot and mug after priming are shown above, and the final product, painted with synthetic enamel spray paint, is below.