My latest project is to design a jewelry collection fabricated with the lost wax casting technique. My partner and I decided that we wanted to design a unisex collection influenced by the minimalist movement for young people like ourselves.
Our concept involves two parts:
1. The arrow, which symbolizes the one-way direction and constant forward flow of life and time.
2. Yin and yang, which will be embodied in our final collection because all of the pieces come in pairs (one silver and one black) that are stackable. The silver pieces are yang - energetic and vibrant because of their polished silver finish. The black pieces are yin - more subtle and withdrawn with a satin finish.
Above, the rings from my partner's and my Doble V (Double V) jewelry collection are shown directly after casting in silver and brass, along with the original copper rings that we sculpted by hand and used to make the mold for the others. All of the pieces will be polished and the brass ones given a black patina.
Here are some sketches of how our idea evolved on paper before we ever touched a piece of metal or jewelry modeling wax.
Once we committed to a final design, we started working on fabrication. The original for the pendant was made directly in jewelry sculpting wax.:
For the rings, we cut the shape out of a sheet of copper, then filed and sanded it to perfection...
Then we curved it into a ring shape and soldered the joint:
After we had the original, we took it to a professional jewelry casting workshop, where they created a vulcanized rubber mold of the rings so they could make copies in silver and brass, shown below with the copper original:
The process of making the bracelet was similar to the ring, only there was no soldering involved. Before curving the bracelet original, made in aluminum:
Once we had all of the pieces cast in silver and brass, we used files and sandpaper to give them an even surface, used a soldering torch to fill in air bubbles with silver solder, polished them, and gave the brass ones a black patina by using a chemical oxidizing solution.
The finished collection:
For more pictures click here!
My latest school project is to design a product that is inclusive. That is to say, designed in such a way that most people, including people with special needs, can use it comfortably. For example, for this faucet design we are aiming for something that is comfortable for children, the elderly, left-handed as well as right-handed people, people with motor problems, and the blind. But not just a product designed for a specific type of user with special needs; a product that virtually anyone can use.
Here are some of the first sketches I did of ideas for a faucet design.
Here are the plan views of our final design, the Arc Tap. Many aspects of the form were inspired by the aqueduct, but the two things that most determined our chosen form were functionality and ergonomics. As functionalist architect Louis Sullivan so aptly put it, "form follows function" - and that was definitely the approach we took on this project!
We also built a 3D model with the program Solidworks, and rendered it with Keyshot. Here it is!
Then, we built the prototype. Ideally, we would have made it in real chrome, but given our time, material, and machinery constraints we made an appearance model out of medium-density fiberboard (MDF) spray-painted with a chrome finish.
Here is a shot of me working on the bandsaw in the woodshop.
And last but not least: a photo of the finished prototype! (MDF painted with matte metallic spray paint and sanded to give the appearance of a brushed stainless steel finish)
My latest project was to design a product that was inspired by a playful moment. My partner and I chose hide-and-seek as our inspiration and decided to design a teapot-cup set. I started by sketching existing products.
Then, I started to brainstorm ideas for a tea set that could incorporate the concept of hide-and-seek. A great idea hit me on the head - a teapot that has a form with a hollowed out area in which one or more teacups could be stored. Hide the teacups under the teapot, and lift up the teapot to find them! Then I started sketching different possibilities for the form of the teapot to maximize the volume while allowing for a hole to hide the teacup(s).
We settled on this basic form of basically a semi-sphere whith a simple spout and a wire handle, partly inspired by the Japanese cast-iron teapot I sketched (see above).
Then it was time to make the prototype, which was in itself the biggest challenge of all! We used plaster as the material, although the real product would be made of ceramic. Due to the limited materials and machinery available to us, we used a different process to build the prototype out of plaster instead.
The teapot and mug after priming are shown above, and the final product, painted with synthetic enamel spray paint, is below.